Bloggo back to the blog
Community Spotlight Presents Kristian Karl-->
The Community Spotlight is a feature on the EuroSTAR Blog which brings to focus those who matter in software testing industry in Europe – you, the members of the EuroSTAR Community!
We want to give you the chance to get to know more about your peers throughout Europe and share your own experiences, career highlights and some fun facts with the testing community by taking our Community Spotlight interview.
This Community Spotlight features Kristian Karl who recently presented at the 2013 EuroSTAR Conference and hosted his session Experiences of Test Automation at Spotify again as a webinar this week as part of ‘Best of EuroSTAR 2013’ webinar series which you can view here.
2.Where are you from?
3.Where do you work?
Spotify, Stockholm, Sweden
4. Can you tell us how you got involved in testing?
In the middle of the nineties a friend of mine asked me if I might be interested in verifying radio base stations at Ericsson. I did know a bit about programming [Fortran and C/C++], but nothing about testing. It was a great time. Mobile was exploding. The skies were the limit.
5. How many times have you been to EuroSTAR?
6. What’s your favourite hobby?
Music (listening and recording). I like photographing a little, and programming a bit.
7. What would you have been if you weren’t involved in testing?
Hmmm, maybe a developer I guess.
8. Have you any advice to give to a young tester or someone just starting their testing career?
Be around other testers. Rikard Edgren said once that testing is a tacit knowledge, and I agree. But, reading about testing in any forms is of course a good thing. There’s a lot of cool stuff out there, both books and blogs. And finally, don’t bother to get certified, like ISTQB. Get real knowledge instead….
9. If you could do a project with one other tester/developer/programmer who would it be?
That was a hard question… Okay, I would love to do a project with James Bach.
10. If you were stranded on a desert island what 3 things would you like to have with you?
Ice skates. A volley ball, and a fiberglass portable toilet.
11. What has been your biggest software testing challenge so far?
The work a Spotify. No doubt.